I am writing this blog in order to create my own moving and developing online version of a visual Journal. The sketchbook for me is the highlight of a project, from the research and the links forged, through to the journey of an idea, I am happily filled with a sense of excitement and purpose, I revel in the unravelling of information and in the development and articulation of the idea and spend hours filtering through sources in order to explain my intentions and let others know the map I have created in my own mind. The sketchbook process allows me to absorb my environment and contemplate my world, it allows me to grow and changes my path every time. To challenge myself in this final year I am endeavoring to try a new way of sharing and archiving my journey, putting aside the pritstick and Scissors, pulling up my chair and putting on my glasses this will now be my Sketchbook.
So here it begins a diary of the idea, growing and moving as I go forward with the project. It is what it is. What it will become ... I have no idea and to you the viewer I make no apologies.

Joseph Derby

Joseph Derby
Cottage on Fire at Night, oil on canvas, ca. 1785-1793

Thursday 23 September 2010

The Sublime Landscape

The Sublime Landscape at The Tate 2007


What are the scenes of nature that elevate the mind¿ and produce the sublime sensation? Not the gay landscape, the flowerly field, or the flourishing city; but the hoary mountain, and the solitary lake; the aged forest, and the torrent falling over the rock. (Hugh Blair, Lectures, 1783)
The following paintings shown below suggest that the landscape can be a source of awe, mystery or even terror. These responses were associated in Turner's lifetime with an aesthetic category known as the Sublime.
In his influential Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful(1757), Edmund Burke distinguished between the Beautiful - things that are smooth, unthreatening and pleasurable - and the Sublime, things that are huge, obscure or terrible and arouse feelings that invigorate and elevate the mind.
These ideas spread widely, informing popular literature as well as aesthetic debate. In an age of change and uncertainty, the Sublime offered a kind of shock-tactic that affirmed the significance of an individual's innate response to nature. In the visual arts, it led artists to create a dramatic new vision of the natural world. But it was Turner who explored the potential of Sublime landscape imagery most comprehensively.
JMW Turner, The Tenth Plague of Egypt  exhibited 1802

This painting illustrates a passage from the Bible describing one of the plagues inflicted on the Egyptians as divine punishment for enslaving the Jewish people: the killing of all the first-born sons of the Egyptians. It is uncomfortably crowded by threatening atmospheric effects, emphasising the power of forces beyond mankind’s control. 


JMW Turner, Buttermere Lake, with Part of Cromackwater, Cumberland, a Shower exhibited 1798
American Sublime 
The Apocolyptic Sublime
Thomas Cole, The course of Empire: Desolation 1836

Destruction is Cole's finest essay in the apocalyptic sublime. It is influenced by John Martin and JMW Turner, from whom Cole derived the swirling vortex of cloud. Cole's prophetic vision of calamity may have had contemporary resonances in December 1835, while Cole was working on canvas, a fire swept through lower Manhattan, causing massive destruction in the wall street area.

Frederic Edwin Church (1826 - 1900)
Iceberg Flotante  1859, 
Aurora Borealis 1865. 
Morning in the Tropics 1877
Church eagerly read the works of the English critic John Ruskin, who taught young artists that to observe nature closely was to 'follow the finger of God'. The scientific precision of Church's works can be compared with Pre-Raphaelite landscapes of the same period. Like many of his contemporaries, Church firmly believed in economic progress as part of the divinely-ordained destiny of the United States. Admiring the heroic efforts of pioneers in clearing the forests and creating new farmland, artists such as Church and Sanford Robinson Gifford nonetheless lamented the resulting destruction of the wilderness. The stumps of felled trees symbolised this cruel transformation.